Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: The Afghanistan I know
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Friday, November 04, 2011

The Afghanistan I know

last year, frustrated by the u.s. media's endless, narrow, and extremely one-sided portrayal of afghanistan as 24/7 violence, death and destruction, and always from the perspective of the u.s. military, i put together my own presentation on afghanistan and delivered it at all the branches of the local library district... most were lightly attended except for the one i did for a local education group for seniors that attracted nearly 100 people... virtually everyone who came, however, was surprised and pleased to get a different take on the country, a take that included ordinary people, people just like you and me...

my good friend in kabul sent me this video yesterday... it does in 5 minutes what i spent an hour and a half doing in my presentation...

from the blog post...

As each of us has his own impression of Afghanistan that is predominantly marked with pictures of foreign forces, explosions and terror, we were privileged to have access to capture daily life and portrait some people of Afghanistan.

Labels: ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page