Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Africa and Millenium Challenge - connect the dots, fercryinoutloud
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Friday, July 01, 2005

Africa and Millenium Challenge - connect the dots, fercryinoutloud

Three years ago, the pressure of a looming international aid summit induced President Bush to launch the Millennium Challenge Account, an instrument for plowing generous aid into poor countries with uncorrupt institutions and good policies. Yesterday Mr. Bush responded to similar pressure ahead of next week's Group of Eight summit, which will have Africa high on the agenda. But whereas the Millennium Challenge initiative involved a promise of $5 billion extra for development per year, Mr. Bush's initiatives this time around are modest.

what really drives me totally crazy about articles like this is when they're disconnected from the bigger picture... just the other day, for instance, the nyt reported on the resignation of the Millenium Challenge chief executive and what a miserable failure the mca project has been so far (see my previous post) yet, in the above article, not a word is mentioned of that story... to me, that's just plain crappy journalism... if they had included mention of the mca's dismal performance, it might have led to a further speculation about whether the promised increase of aid to africa wouldn't suffer a similar fate... sheesh...

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page