Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: The speech
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The speech

The only thing new in the speech was that Dear Leader finally uttered the words "Osama bin Laden." But did anyone hear him mention "Saddam Hussein?" Did we hear anything about WMD? Or rape rooms? Or "he gassed his own people?"

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I thought I would be able to escape, but it's early start time (don't these things usually start at 9 EDT?) gave me a window. So along with my TT friends, we endured together.

What can I say? He didn't say anything new. Even a tried and true soldier audience wasn't buying it. I noticed many not looking at him. I caught one soldier dozing off. Dear Leader was interrupted once for applause and Terry Moran of ABC confessed that it had been generated by a White House advance person...not the soldiers. At the end of the speech there were no shouts of Hoo-Rah, only 30 seconds or so of polite applause and then George milked the rope line.

Oh, and there will be no troop increases, so suck it up soldier. Dear Leader doesn't have your back. You are on your own.

[Edit at 8:12AM.] -- Just checked the transcript and yes, Saddam Hussein is mentioned in the speech twice: (1) "remnants of Saddam Hussein's regime" who are in cahoots with terrorists, (2) in reference to the oppression of the Kurds: "Under the regime of Saddam Hussein, the Shia and Kurds were brutally oppressed and the vast majority of Sunni Arabs were also denied their basic rights..."

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page