Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: While I was shoveling the driveway yesterday
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Sunday, January 06, 2008

While I was shoveling the driveway yesterday

this is what people living 50 miles east of us were dealing with...


Marilyn Newton/RGJ.com


Marilyn Newton/RGJ.com
Hundreds of homes remained under up to 8 feet of water Sunday as federal emergency workers were on their way to assess the flood damage caused when an irrigation canal’s earthen levee ruptured in Fernley early Saturday morning.

Cold weather was turning some of the water to ice, complicating plans to allow natural flows to move most of the water on to a federal wetland outside town. Fernley officials said they were considering using pumps to aid in that effort.

The levee break that occurred just after 4 a.m. on Saturday was repaired late in the day but as much as a square mile of the town was still under at least 2 feet of water.

i don't know about you folks, but, on seeing both those photos, i experienced massive deja vu...

Labels: , , , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page