Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Senator Reid's response to my email of yesterday
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Friday, October 19, 2007

Senator Reid's response to my email of yesterday

he's obviously taking a lot of heat or he wouldn't have turned this around quite so fast... too bad it says nothing substantive about the retroactive telecom immunity or senator dodd's hold... maybe that'll be in a follow-on email - or not...

the relevant excerpt...

I am ... a strong supporter of privacy rights. As you may know, on August 3, 2007, the Senate passed, and on August 5th, the President signed the Protect America Act of 2007, or Public Law 110-55 (P.L.110-55), providing temporary six-month changes to FISA in light of the Director of National Intelligence's (DNI) expressed concerns about a recently-emerged gap in foreign counterterrorism intelligence collection.


While I believe it is important to provide our intelligence community the tools it needs to ensure the safety of our nation, I also believe we can do so in a manner that does not compromise the privacy rights of innocent Americans. Although I opposed the Protect America Act because it did not meet this important standard, it passed by a vote of 60-28. As the sunset date of the Protect America Act approaches and Congress considers its replacement, I will fight for legislation that will keep our nation safe, but that will not compromise our core values as Americans.

[...]

My best wishes to you.

Sincerely,

HARRY REID

United States Senator

time for ANOTHER letter, i see... < sigh >

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page