Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: I just KNEW Chris Dodd was going to be in for some shit
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Thursday, October 18, 2007

I just KNEW Chris Dodd was going to be in for some shit

i didn't expect that the first of it would come from his own party and my own u.s. senator (altho' i guess i shouldn't be surprised)...
Tim Starks of Congressional Quarterly reports that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) plans to bring the Senate's surveillance bill up for floor debate in mid-November. That's despite the hold that Sen. Chris Dodd (D-CT) plans to place on the measure --

so, off goes yet ANOTHER letter...
Dear Senator Reid,

I couldn't have been more encouraged to learn that Senator Chris Dodd had placed a hold on the heinous compromise FISA bill crafted yesterday by the Senate, a bill that grants retroactive immunity for the telecommunications companies for their work illegally assisting an already criminal government to spy on its citizens.

I am deeply troubled by the many attacks on our United States Constitution that have been the hallmark of the Bush dministration. There are many serious issues facing our country, but none of them, I am convinced, are as critical as the on-going constitutional crisis, a crisis so severe it threatens the very existence of our democratic republic.

I have been equally concerned that none of the 2008 presidential candidates, with the occasional exception of Senator Dodd, have had the wisdom or the courage to speak out forcefully about our dire straits as a nation. That Senator Dodd is drawing a line in the sand by putting a hold on the shameful Senate FISA bill is a small ray of light in a very dark landscape.

I expect, Senator Reid, that you will take a cue about your own leadership from Senator Dodd, and use every means at your disposal to halt the shredding of our constitution and the abrogation of every premise upon which our nation was built. It's time for you and every Senate Democrat to take your oath of office seriously and make the protection and preservation of the United States Constitution your first priority.

Sincerely,

if i had a nickel for every petition i've signed, letter i've written and phone call i've made on behalf of the future of my country, i would be a rich man...

Labels: , , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page