Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: The latest from Chris Dodd
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The latest from Chris Dodd


Dear [Name redacted],

Let's get right to it and talk about how we stop retroactive telecommunications immunity from becoming law.

The way I see it, there are three ways to get this provision stripped from the final bill:

1.) The first step would be to make sure the idea doesn't make it out of the Senate Judiciary Committee -- where it will be considered shortly.

If we can get it stripped there, it will have to be offered as an amendment to the overall bill where it will be a lot easier to get 41 votes against retroactive immunity than 41 to sustain my filibuster if necessary.

Take a moment and call up members of the committee, let me know what they said, and join others in tracking our progress in stopping the provision right there.

http://chrisdodd.com/immunity

The other two ways:

2.) If retroactive immunity does make it out of committee, Senate leadership can honor the hold I've placed on any legislation that includes retroactive immunity.

3.) If leadership does not honor my hold, I remain committed to filibustering, and working to get the 41 votes necessary to maintain it.

This has the potential to be a long fight -- so let's build a solid foundation for our effort today by asking members of the Judiciary Committee to vote against any FISA bill that includes retroactive amnesty.

http://chrisdodd.com/immunity

I'd like to see a little more spine, frankly, on these issues. People tell us they want to lead, but a little leadership right now would certainly be welcomed on these questions.

I don't want to, but I'm not afraid to do this alone.

Chris


Individual Senator Rundown

NamePartyStatePositionTake Action
Sessions, JeffRALmaybe CALL THEM NOW
Kyl, JonRAZmaybe CALL THEM NOW
Feinstein, DianneDCAmaybe CALL THEM NOW
Biden, Joseph R., Jr.DDEmaybe CALL THEM NOW
Grassley, ChuckRIAmaybe CALL THEM NOW
Durbin, RichardDILmaybe CALL THEM NOW
Brownback, SamRKSmaybe CALL THEM NOW
Kennedy, Edward M.DMAmaybe CALL THEM NOW
Cardin, Benjamin L.DMDmaybe CALL THEM NOW
Schumer, Charles E.DNYmaybe CALL THEM NOW
Coburn, TomROKmaybe CALL THEM NOW
Specter, ArlenRPAmaybe CALL THEM NOW
Whitehouse, SheldonDRImaybe CALL THEM NOW
Graham, LindseyRSCmaybe CALL THEM NOW
Cornyn, JohnRTXmaybe CALL THEM NOW
Hatch, Orrin G.RUTmaybe CALL THEM NOW
Leahy, Patrick J.DVTmaybe CALL THEM NOW
Feingold, Russell D.DWImaybe CALL THEM NOW
Kohl, HerbDWImaybe CALL THEM NOW
i'm writing him back asking him to expand his leadership by stepping out on all of the aspects of the constitutional crisis...

Labels: , , , , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page