Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Four BIG reasons why Bob Kengle left the DOJ Civil Rights Division
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Monday, April 30, 2007

Four BIG reasons why Bob Kengle left the DOJ Civil Rights Division

falling right in line with all the other revelations about politicizing the justice department and executive branch agencies, comes this...
Why I Left the Civil Rights Division

Bob Kengle

[...]

I spent over twenty years in the Civil Rights Division because it is a unique institution with which I identified not because it was perfect, but because it sought to advance a genuine public good above the political fray. I reached my "breaking point" when I concluded that I no longer could make that happen. I have not previously elaborated on my reasons for leaving the Civil Rights Division, but it seems now to be the right time to do so.
-----
1) I no longer could insulate the line attorneys I supervised from the political appointees.
-----
2) I lost confidence that any litigation I supervised would be resolved based upon the merits rather than partisan factors.
-----
3) I lost confidence that the hiring process would bring in attorneys who placed civil rights enforcement over partisan considerations.
-----
4) Policy decisions to pursue or avoid pursuing certain cases or types of cases.

what a sad, sad litany, and, as i type, alberto gonzales remains as attorney general and george bush remains as president of the united states...

Labels: , , , , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page