Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: When faced with the full panoply of human existence, intolerance withers
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Monday, November 27, 2006

When faced with the full panoply of human existence, intolerance withers

markos nails it...
I'd love to see someone research the correlation between density and partisanship, which I believe may be stronger than other demographic factors. As people are forced to live in closer proximity to each other, the feeling of community and shared purpose appears to drive people to the left, compared to the "I've got mine" ethos of gated communities and fenced-off megahouses. If one is around grandmothers on social security, gay couples, sick people, unemployed people, and other people unlike them, then their appreciation for the government's role in leveling the playing field and social tolerance increases.

one of my biggest beefs is how the u.s. segregates itself according to income, race, and age... we see these ghettoes of old people, rich people, poor people, blacks, hispanics, and, yes, gays... one of the reasons i enjoy being outside the u.s. as much as i do is that tendency is much less evident in many other countries...

i think markos is absolutely right in his observation... it's very hard to maintain bigotry and intolerance when the full panoply of human existence surrounds you on a daily basis...

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page