Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: In signed memo, Rumsfeld authorized torture in 2002
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Monday, November 27, 2006

In signed memo, Rumsfeld authorized torture in 2002

The former US commander of the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq said in an interview appearing yesterday that the outgoing US defense secretary, Donald H. Rumsfeld, authorized the mistreatment of detainees there.

when i read this story the other day, it clicked that i had a copy of the memo, written by the then-general counsel of the defense department, william haynes, to rumsfeld, asking for rumsfeld's authorization to use three categories of "counter-resistance interrogation techniques" at guantanamo... i've been hunting around in my files since then and finally found it...



(click document for full-size image)

i particularly like his hand-written note at the end...

However, I stand for 8-10 hours a day. Why is standing limited to 4 hours? D.R.

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page