Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: A little confirmation on bombing PK back to the stone age
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Saturday, September 23, 2006

A little confirmation on bombing PK back to the stone age

juan cole reaches into the archives and pulls out one of his old emails...
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 07:19:48 -0400 (EDT)
To: gulf2000 list

Pakistan About-Face

From: Juan Cole

The United States demanded last week that Pakistan close the borders with Pakistan, cut off fuel to the Taliban, open its air space to the US for an attack on Afghanistan, and indicate a willingness to have US and allied troops stationed on its soil.

[...]

Dawn [a Karachi daily English-language newspaper, 9-17-01] quotes Pakistani officials as saying, that "Pakistan has the option to live in the 21st century or the Stone Age' is roughly how US officials are putting their case."

meanwhile, george, who never seems to know anything about anything, claims he never heard of any such thing, and the first he'd heard of the musharraf "60 minutes" claim was reading the newspaper... and armitage, of course, immediately issued a denial...
Bush said he was "taken aback by the harshness of the words" attributed to Armitage but had no knowledge of such a threat. He said the first he heard of it was in the newspaper Friday.

Armitage categorically denied it. "I've never made a threat in my life that I couldn't back up," he told CNN, "and since I wasn't authorized to say such a thing and hence couldn't back up that threat, I never said it."

seems to me that saying pakistan can choose between the stone age and the 21st century could easily be interpreted as a bomb threat, wouldn't you agree...?

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page