Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Count me among 'em
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Monday, July 31, 2006

Count me among 'em

i'm a little above the top end of the age range, but the dynamic definitely applies...
[M]en in the prime of their lives, between 30 and 55 -- have dropped out of regular work. They are turning down jobs they think are beneath them or are unable to find work for which they are qualified.

About 13 percent of American men in this age group are not working, up from 5 percent in the late 1960s. The difference represents 4 million men who would be working today if the employment rate had remained where it was in the 1950s and '60s.

for a two and a half year period between 2001 and early 2004, i was beginning to think i was either going to be driving long-haul trucks or working as a wal-mart greeter... but things took a turn after that, and i've managed to land several short-term contracts each year since then, working in emerging economies in the balkans, a type of work i find exceptionally satisfying... if it continues, i will do well enough to keep from having to push a shopping cart with all my belongings down the street... oh, and, yes, i am extremely grateful... moreover, not working full-time and being out of a corporate environment has contributed immeasurably to my quality of life to say nothing of my mental and emotional serenity...

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page