Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: A thousand little cuts
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Thursday, February 16, 2006

A thousand little cuts

Jesus Gawd Almighty. It looks like the Republicans are going to roll over for Bush one more time. Senator Roberts is acting like he has struck a deal with the White House to avoid an investigation into the NSA wiretapping. The House, on the other hand, may investigate, but their own Republicans can't seem to agree on whether they are really going to investigate the actual law-fucking-breaking going on, or whether or not they are just going to see if the FISA law just needs some tweaking so Bush can go on doing what he has been doing for the past five years: flipping a big fat bird at Congress and the Courts.

On the home front, we have nearly three years into the process of my son-in-law getting his green card. Just when we think we are done and all is ready to be finalized, they throw us another curve. Latest? The interviewer, on official letterhead, requested of my son-in-law:


"Please submit an orginal letter of employment for your joint sponsor, ####. This letter must state her length of employment, current salary and prospect for future employment.

Please submit copies of her earning statements for the past six months.

Seems simple enough. Okay, I email back east for my employer to send the letter. I get together all my pay stubs for the last six months. The letter arrives. Smart employer sent two, on letterhead, with her business card attached. I put all documents together and hand off to daughter and son-in-law. She runs it by the Reno DHS U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office. According to them, though I had done EVERYTHING in the letter, I was supposed to be a mind reader and know that my letter would not be complete if it did not include all the information on a separate piece of paper THEY HANDED HER TODAY. This paper looks like it has been Xeroxed a gazillion times...no official letterhead or government document number either. It says (and yes, it is all in upper case):

EMPLOYMENT LETTERS

THE FOLLOWING ITEMS M U S T BE INCLUDED IN ALL REQUIRED/REQUESTED EMPLOYMENT LETTER(S)!!!
**LETTER WRITTEN ON COMPANY'S LETTEREAD (sic) STATIONERY
**NAME OF INDIVIDUAL; SS# OF INDIVIDUAL
**DATE BEGAN EMPLOYMENT
**IS POSITION PERMANENT OR TEMPORARY
**IS THE POSITION PART TIME OR FULL TIME
**HOW MANY HOURS ON AVERAGE ARE WORKED EACH WEEK
**IS THE EMPLOYMENT SEASONAL; IF SO, HOW MANY HOURS ON AVERAGE ARE WORKED EACH YEAR.
**WHAT IS THE CURRENT RATE OF PAY
**ARE THERE ANY SCHEDULED PROMOTIONS OR PAY INCREASE, IF SO, WHEN
**WHAT ARE THE COMPANY'S EXPECTATIONS FOR THE APPLICANT'S CONTINUED EMPLOYMENT IN THE FUTURE

IF THE EMPLOYMENT LETTER DOES NOT CONTAIN THIS INFORMATION, IT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!!!


The thing is, the letter says what I make, and that ain't part-time pay. It says the likelihood of employment is good. AND, the HR director tells them that they can CALL her if they have additional questions. The pay stubs include the hours I work, my SSN, etc. So, I am going to have to get on the phone in the morning with USCIS and sit on hold and find out what exactly they need from me.

I guess this wouldn't feel so sucky if the rest of the world were okay. But my country is going down the tubes and this is just one more cut.

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page