Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Just in case we get lost in the contemplation of our own navels...
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Friday, May 20, 2005

Just in case we get lost in the contemplation of our own navels...

many of us, especially those who, like myself, consider ourselves progressives and liberals, tend to take pride in being broader of vision and scope and insuring that we include the rest of the world in our thinking... well, i'm here to tell ya, we're not as hot at it as we might like to think we are... speaking for myself, after spending the bulk of today wallowing in the woes of the u.s. and poring over horror story after horror story, i came up for air long enough to grab this off the npr site...

Last weekend, Ethiopians voted for only the third time in 3,000 years. The turnout for the election was reportedly more than 90 percent. The European Union's chief observer called it "a genuine demonstration of democracy." But there have been problems, and both the ruling party and the opposition have claimed victory.

ok, there are problems... all god's chillun got problems... but still... 3,000 years...! DAMN...! it's a story to close the evening with and from a country that, please note, has NEVER been subjugated to another power...

sleep tight all...

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page