Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Traveling can be a bitch
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Traveling can be a bitch

it's now 8 a.m. saturday and i'm in heathrow airport, london, where i arrived about an hour and a half ago... i fly out to dubai where i land at midnight and transfer to the 03:30 kabul flight... by the time i land in kabul at 07:00 sunday morning, i will be burnt toast...

i haven't slept well for the past few nights anyway and i didn't get much more than a couple of hours of restful sleep on the flight from d.c. to london... i doubt i will get much on the flight from here to dubai either... needless to say, i will crash once i hit kabul... they may see me in the office briefly tomorrow afternoon... then again, they might not...

i'm a pretty resilient traveler and generally manage long flights and multiple time zones well, but there's no question that it takes a toll...

p.s. let me add a very positive note... yesterday in d.c., i asked the taxi driver taking me to dulles airport where he was from... i know the world is full of serendipitous coincidences so i was only mildly surprised when he told me he was from afghanistan... i told him i was on my way there for the 5th time and we had a wonderful, wonderful conversation for the 45 minutes it took to get to the airport from georgetown... we compared perspectives, shared details of our work and our families, and mutually deplored the despicable extremism we're witnessing in both his country and mine... it's those kind of encounters that brighten a day and make life just a little bit more worthwhile...

Labels: , , , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page