Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: The Kabul ice cream man
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Kabul ice cream man

Photobucket

i was sitting in the office in kabul one afternoon in early june, when i heard some music coming from outside that was unmistakably that of an ice cream vendor... now, i'm sure that, no matter where you might be in the world, that kind of music would immediately trigger a mental picture of "ice cream man"... i ran to the second-floor terrace just in time to see the man and his little, umbrella-covered cart disappearing around a corner... i was determined to get a video clip, so, for the next few days, i was primed, the moment i heard that music, to grab my camera and do the deed... several times, i heard the music, grabbed the camera, but couldn't quite pin down the location... i was telling this story to someone and they asked, "why didn't you run outside...?" i patiently explained that, in kabul, afghanistan, you simply didn't just RUN OUTSIDE... anyway, the afternoon before the morning i was to leave, i heard the music, snatched up my camera, ran to the terrace, and GOT HIM...!



i tried posting this well over a month ago but, for some reason, my youtube uploader wasn't working right, so, after several abortive efforts, i said to hell with it... today, i decided to re-install the uploader and, VOILA, it works...! (yes, i'm sometimes a little slow figuring things out...)

Labels: , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page