Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: "Now when I see the eagle of freedom, I see an eagle of fascism"
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Thursday, October 11, 2007

"Now when I see the eagle of freedom, I see an eagle of fascism"

from an interview conducted by Nina Berman with Christopher Morris "who has been covering George Bush as TIME Magazine's White House photographer for the last seven years, and has recently published My America, a book of photographs that affords us a complex and quietly creepy look inside the Bush bubble"... this excerpt was included with a photo slide show in a post on alternet...


Christopher Morris: This is my America. An America with Homeland Security, a Patriot Act. An America with paranoia. An America with hatred and ignorance. An America that wraps itself in its President and its flag. This is my America.

Now when I see the eagle of freedom, I see an eagle of fascism. Now when I see the American flag, I'm afraid for my America. We have become an ugly nation. A nation that has wrapped its eyes so tightly in red, white and blue that it has gone blind. Blinded by nationalism. This is my America. And this is why they hate us, and its not because we love freedom. They hate us because we think like that.

and then there's this revealing exchange...
Nina Berman: [H]ow does the Bush bubble differ from the Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama or Rudy Giuliani bubble, or is there any palpable difference?

Christopher Morris: The only difference are the crowds. Republicans are drastically different than Democrats. You can see it in their fashion. I can pretty easily tell what type of crowd I am in. As for the three candidates that you mention, all three are very controlling of the media with the way they want to be portrayed. The most difficult candidates for access are Hillary Clinton and Rudy Giuliani, both, ironically, the front-runners.

i find it strangely comforting as well as profoundly disturbing that an individual who has spent seven years traveling with george bush, and is as close to being a true insider as anyone can be while still being an outsider, sees the same ugliness i am seeing...

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page