Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: True BiPartisan Political Theater?
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Friday, June 29, 2007

True BiPartisan Political Theater?

I know many will see this as an encouraging development, but I am a pessimist regarding our elected officials.
I think that this is political theater to keep us all amused while Congress and the White House continue with business as usual. I am not going to single out the Democrats as the Republicans do, I see it as bipartisan political theater.
I sincerely hope that I am wrong, I really do, but I have no respect for any of the vermin in DC. Full article from the A.P.

Dems call White House out on subpoenas

By LAURIE KELLMAN
Associated Press Writer

Dems call White House out on subpoenas
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Democrats took the first steps Friday in what could be a long march to court in a tug-of-war between the White House and Congress over subpoenas and executive and legislative branch powers.

In a letter to White House counsel Fred Fielding, the heads of the Senate and House Judiciary committees demanded an explanation in 10 days of why the White House claimed executive privilege on subpoenaed documents and vowed to invoke "the full force of law."

The White House - echoing the senior Republican on the Senate panel - urged the chairmen to accept the administration's earlier offer to allow private, off-the-record interviews with current and former aides to President Bush.

"If the committees just want the facts, then they should withdraw the subpoenas and accept the president's offer, instead of this continued pattern of gross overreach and confrontation," said White House spokesman Tony Fratto.

Here is the "out" for the Dems. After a lot of fist pounding and rhetoric from both sides, Leahy will cave and allow useless testimony without oaths or transcripts. It will be hailed as a great victory for Congressional over site, but it will be hollow. Democrats can't afford to set the precedent against executive privilege on the eve of their re-occupation of the White House.
[...]
They gave the White House until July 9 to furnish the factual and legal bases for the executive privilege claim and documentation that President Bush personally signed off on it.

Whether or not the White House meets the deadline, "we will take the necessary steps to rule on your privilege claims and appropriately enforce our subpoenas backed by the full force of law," Leahy and Conyers wrote.
[...]
Throughout the nation's history, presidents have repeatedly asserted executive privilege to keep secrets from the courts, the Congress and most anyone else.

Like I said, the Dems. need executive privilege to protect their illegal, unethical rape of the Republic just like Repubs.
Over the years, Congress and the White House have avoided a full-blown court test about the constitutional balance of power and whether the president can refuse demands from Congress.(emphasis added) Lawmakers could vote to cite witnesses for contempt and refer the matter to the local U.S. attorney to bring before a grand jury. Since 1975, 10 senior administration officials have been cited, but the disputes were all resolved before getting to court.
[...]
Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., urged a pragmatic response to Fielding's claim of privilege, saying that if the committee accepted the private-interview offer it could always issue subpoenas later.
Arlen, my Senator, is one of the biggest scumbags on Earth. The only time he ever actually opposed the White House was on stem cell research, and he has even backed off of that position.
This statement is, in my opinion, the actual outcome that will be allowed by our treasonous, elitist elected leaders.
Again, I hope I am wrong about all of this, but hope is all I have left.

Labels: , , , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page