Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: A Brief Word on Immigration
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Thursday, May 24, 2007

A Brief Word on Immigration

I have been accused, by people who have asked my opinion on this extremely sensitive issue, of being a pro-business NeoCon.
People who know me know otherwise.

Why?

I can't think of this subject without the following fourteen lines coming into my mind first:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame,
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Only a great Republic could live up to these words.Thanks to Emily Lazarus for writing The New Colossus in 1883. You can read a little about her at this site.

When I see all the bad things happening around the world and so much of originates from our own govt, I sometimes lose faith. That's when I read this and I am filled again with pride in America.

I first read this at the feet of the Great Lady when I was a boy.

Whenever I read it, I am also reminded why so many want to come here. We need them. They are Americans that haven't made it home, yet.

All they really need to do is knock on the door first and introduce themselves, and I think we would all welcome them. We are, after all, a warm welcoming people.
Remember, the Constitution must apply to all of us, or it applies to none of us.

Labels: , , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page