Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Repub Writings Justify Impeachment
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Repub Writings Justify Impeachment

I ran across this some years ago (1/99). It was an argument written to justify the impeachment of Clinton. I find it a compelling argument for the impeachment of Bush, although I doubt it was intended for this use by the author or his quoted sources, as you will read.

(Original courtesy of Jon Roland, The Constitution Society)

[...]

The problem is that the grounds for impeachment specified in the Constitution at Art. II Sec. 4, "Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors", is not limited to criminal offenses against which there are laws. The phrase "high crimes and misdemeanors", as explained by Ann Coulter in her recent book entitled "High Crimes and Misdemeanors", is a term of art that includes many offenses that are not criminally or civilly actionable but are, nevertheless, grounds for impeachment and removal from office.


For once, Ann Coulter says something useful and not offensive. The next part is very useful today.

[...]

He is ultimately responsible for any failures of his subordinates or for their violations of the Constitution and the rights of persons committed by them.
(emphasis added)


Gonzales and the Senate, this part is just for you. Legal or not, Little Georgy is the Captain of this sinking ship and he must bear the responsibility.

[...]

It is sufficient to show, on the preponderance of evidence, that the president was aware of misconduct on the part of his subordinates, and failed to do all he could to remedy the misconduct, including termination and prosecution of the subordinate and compensation for his victims or their heirs. His subordinates include everyone in the executive branch, and their agents and contractors. It is not limited to those over whom he has direct supervision. And he is not protected by "plausible deniability". He is legally responsible for knowing what everyone in the executive branch is doing.


My Republican associates rightly conclude the following....

[...]

The impeachment and removal process should be a debate on the entire field of proven and suspected misconduct by federal officials and agents under this president, and if judged to have been excessive by reasonable standards, to be grounds for removal, even if direct complicity cannot be shown.


Like I said, I don't think John Roland, Ann Coulter, or Ken Starr would appreciate having their work revisited at such an inconvenient moment. It was intended for a President who was only guilty of engaging in questionable personal behavior and having extremely questionable taste in the company he kept, and continues to keep. However, it is a powerful argument for impeachment.

I invite everyone to read the entire document and forward it to your respective Congressional Rep. The behavior and investigations Roland refers to seem so paltry compared to the crimes occurring today.

For my part, as of today, I renounce my affiliation with the Republican Party and I will not join the spineless Democratic Party. I have no respect left for either of these organizations after today's' events. I expect that neither of them will do a thing to save our Republic.

If you cast a vote for a Republican or Democrat, you are throwing your vote away.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page