Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: I rode my bike to the park on Tuesday
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Thursday, April 05, 2007

I rode my bike to the park on Tuesday

and completely forgot that i wanted to post about it... i just came back from another bike ride over there which reminded me...

the "park" is parque de los niños, a large expanse of trees, grass, picnic areas, trails, and playgrounds at the far north end of capital (buenos aires proper)... it borders the rio de la plata and is a delightful place to spend time... on weekends, it's packed with families, bikers, couples young and old, fishermen, fútbol players, picnickers, mate drinkers, kite flyers, readers, sunbathers, walkers, and every sort of folk enjoying themselves... during the week, it's quiet and peaceful, the only noise being the racket of the annoying monk parakeets that infest argentina (are are taking over in some parts of the states as well)...

there were two special things about tuesday... one was the profusion of butterflies... i can't tell one butterfly from another, but they had orange and black wings, and were everywhere... it was beautiful... the second thing was perhaps one of the nicest things i have seen in a long time... a van pulled up in the parking area... i didn't pay it any attention until i realized that it was full of elderly blind people who were there for a walk in the park... groups of three or four at a time were guided by a sighted person over the trails, through the grass and trees, while sights were described... the old folks were obviously having a wonderful time... they were talking animatedly, laughing, telling stories and teasing each other... i couldn't wipe the smile off my face...


Labels: , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page