Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: How high can the NYT pile shit in defense of Don Imus?
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Friday, April 13, 2007

How high can the NYT pile shit in defense of Don Imus?

a lot higher than i would have suspected...
Mr. Imus is an old-school radio guy caught in a very modern media paradigm. When he started 30 years ago, if he made the same kind of remark, it would have floated off into the ether — the Federal Communications Commission, if it received complaints, might have taken notice, but few others.

this comment, to me, is almost as offensive as what mr. imus himself had to say... i've deliberately not posted anything on this tempest in a teapot because, plainly and simply, i don't give a rat's ass, but this knocked me off my early morning pegs...

i happen to have followed radio all my life (60 years this december), and, i can tell you, there is no way in HELL imus would have MADE a similar remark 30 years ago... 30 years ago, radio talk was a civil place, a benign place which, while maybe not all that substantive, was at least characterized by a certain decorum, the kind you would find in living rooms and coffee shops all over the country... imus may be old, but he certainly ain't "old-school..." imus represents the rise of the shock jock, the breed who made names for themselves by deliberately adopting the argot of the locker room and the all-night drinking and poker parties so beloved of testosterone devotees...

dating myself, i remember that it was morton downey jr. who really brought this type of broadcasting sewage fully into the public eye back in the early 80s... in fact, when downey left radio and turned to tv, his replacement was rush limbaugh... in any case, "old-school radio guy" is a patent lie and the new york times should be ashamed...

Labels: , , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page