Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Nevada Senate candidate Jack Carter reports
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Nevada Senate candidate Jack Carter reports

carter just completed a trip around nevada to some of the small local places that don't often rate a visit from a major candidate... keep in mind that, outside of metro areas like reno/carson city/tahoe and las vegas, a lot of towns in nevada are little more than wide spots in the road... i'm sure that a carter coming to town - ANY carter - was big news... here's his observations, some of them fairly interesting...
We are just back from another swing around the state and things keep picking up. I thought you'd like my impression of the last few days.

We had a great time in an old Americana pastime – two musicians on a flat-bed truck followed by a stump speech to various locals in small country towns. I’m glad we did it. We had maybe 250 people show up for the entire tour, from a low of 6 in West Wendover to about 60 in Ely. We probably met another 3 or 400 in scouring the towns before the show. There were journalists at nearly every stop.

Aside from the press, the people we met, and the stories we collected, there were some interesting general observations.

1) No one in the entire tour asked me a question about abortion, gay marriage or flag burning.

2) Veteran’s issues were widespread and concerned a lack of interest by the federal government and the VA

3) I was surprised by the vehemence against the government. The general attitude was to throw out everyone.

4) A number of republicans showed up at the events. We talked to more in the main street stores. Many were sympathetic.

5) There were some local issues discussed which will be helpful to me later.

  • Ranchers’ fights with the BLM
  • Miners wanted to make sure I was for them vs the environment
  • West Wendover and Wendover (astride the NV-UT line) wanted to merge and move the state line east by 4 miles
  • Water issues around Fernley between the ranchers and the Paiute Indians around the Newlands Project.
I was pleased.

A couple of anecdotes involving the Repubs: one told me he had worked hard for[U.S. Senator John] Ensign vs Harry Reid and then later when he won. He said Ensign hadn’t been back since. I promised all these small towns that when I got elected, I’d come back. They all liked that.

A crusty rancher in his 70s talked to me a couple of times during the event. The first time he told me the worst terrorist group in America at this time was the Fed. Gov’t. Later, he was getting another Carter sign for his “mile of fence”. “I’ll tell you the last time I voted for a Democrat was Harry Reid. Worst damn mistake I ever made in my life. I haven’t voted for a Democrat in 25 years. I’m a registered Republican. I’m going to vote for you. But I want you to know – you get elected and I’m going to be on your ass every day.”

That’s the man I want for me in that town.

i hope he kicks ensign's butt good and proper in november...

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page