Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: My man, Russ...
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Thursday, June 22, 2006

My man, Russ...

and THIS is only part of why i'm drawn more and more to this guy...
Q: You don’t take pay raises on principle, right?

RF: I only take a pay raise when I’m reelected. So for six years, if there’s any pay raises, I write a check every two weeks to the federal treasury. It has cost me, hmm, about 60,000 bucks.

Q: And do you also have rules about what your staff can do?

RF: They have to follow the zero-tolerance-for-freebies rule.

Q: That’s not the way they do business in Washington.

RF: Noooo. In fact, my latest routine is when somebody—you know, on the floor of the Senate, I’m going, “Look, we really shouldn’t have free meals bought by others.” And some senator says, “Well, how am I gonna have dinner with my friend the banker?” And I say, “This is how. [opens wallet, takes out Visa card] You take this thing out and you say to the waiter, ‘Would you be willing to give us separate checks?’ And you split the bill.”

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page