Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: A Skopje cab driver on Dick Cheney and Halliburton
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

A Skopje cab driver on Dick Cheney and Halliburton

i never miss an opportunity to talk with taxi drivers no matter where i happen to be... if you want to know what's on the mind of the locals, you can bet they will be the ones to tell you...

yesterday evening, in the cab between the office and my house, i was chatting with the driver... it's coming up to election time here in macedonia and the driver was sarcastically pointing out how skopje city officials have decided that now is a good time to repair some streets in hopes of buying a few votes... i commented that it's the same everywhere in the world... in buenos aires last year, the city officials decided that fixing up the city parks just prior to the elections was a terrific idea... this led to a discussion of the seeming universality of public officials on the take... he turned to me and said, "i can't remember, what's the name of your vice president, the one who works for that company that has all the contracts in iraq...?" "dick cheney," i replied... "and what's the company?" he asked... "halliburton," i said...

my point to folks back in the u.s.: if a cab driver in skopje, macedonia, can see it so clearly, why can't we...?

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page