Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Not going without a fight
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Not going without a fight

Letter I am sending to my Republican senator, and all the moderate ones as well. Fax!!
I am writing to express to you my deep dismay that you may be about to vote to give away your power as a United States Senator.

Samuel Alito’s views on the theory of the unitary executive should be reason enough for you to vote against his confirmation. With everything that is coming to light with regards to warrantless wire-tapping of American citizens, it is terrifying to me as an American to think that we may be going down a road with no ability to turn back. Not to mention these new “signing statements” that appear to allow the President to determine that laws passed by the House and Senate, laws that apply to every other American, do not apply to him.

Senator, I don’t want this kind of power in any President’s hands, regardless of party. Yet, Samuel Alito supports this unconstitutional assertion that, not only can the president “interpret” the law - a function that is constitutionally mandated to the courts - but also that the Congress is no longer the sole creator of legislation. Rather than veto, this President has chosen instead to put himself above the law, and above the Congress – again, in direct conflict with the idea of co-equal branches of government – legislative (you), judicial (courts), and administrative (President). Judge Alito supports this idea of virtually unlimited, unchecked executive power.

When Judge Alito asserted in the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings that “no man is above the law” I was concerned when he was not pressed further on this. Because his interpretation on what the “law” is for the President is vastly different than yours and mine.

The theory of the unitary executive also asserts that all independent agencies, such as the FEC, the EPA, the SEC, etc, would come under control of the Executive Branch and that Congress has no power to create such agencies.

As your constituent, and as a fellow American, I implore you. Vote NO on Samuel Alito’s nomination to the Supreme Court. This is not a matter of party ideology. This is a matter of what it means to be an American and preserving the delicate balance and separation of powers, so skillfully set in place by our founders, which is truly under siege.

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page