Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: A scene from the Congressional Black Caucus annual conference, post-Katrina
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Sunday, September 25, 2005

A scene from the Congressional Black Caucus annual conference, post-Katrina

the cbc's annual legislative conference was held at washington d.c.'s convention center last week...
As Jefferson [Louisiana Rep. William Jefferson] tries to introduce the next panelist, a man in a plaid shirt, Leroy Paige, stands in the middle of the floor. He raises a finger, politely says "excuse me." Then, "I am an evacuee," he says, "you know, from Katrina?"

Jefferson tries to move on.

"Let the man speak," someone says. Then another, and another until Jefferson relents.

Paige takes the podium. "I am here to tell you, people from New Orleans, we have had to face a hurricane, a flood, be put on airplanes and not know where we were going and when we arrived to have guns put to our faces.

"We are talked about, talked at but no one talks to us."

He is grateful for the help, he says, but goes on about not enough money, about tight restrictions in the D.C. Armory.

"We need some input," he says.

By the time he leaves the room less than 10 minutes later, a crowd follows him into the hallway.

"We are talked about, talked at but no one talks to us." phew... that's a hell of a quote and you know it's true... if nothing changes, nothing changes...

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page