Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Same circus, different clowns
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Monday, May 23, 2005

Same circus, different clowns

The Iraqi authorities are doing about as sloppy a job managing their oil wealth as the American authorities did in the months after the U.S.-led invasion, an international watchdog agency said on Monday.

[...]

The U.S. agency had turned over heavily edited audits to the board, stating that the deletions were made to protect trade secrets. An unedited version of the audit later surfaced, showing the deletions sought to conceal questionable billings.

In the new Iraqi oil audit by accounting giant KPMG, covering the period June 29 through Dec. 31, 2004, oil was still being smuggled, hard-to-trace barter transactions were continuing and contracts were still being granted on a noncompetitive basis without justification.

they were obviously trained well... sounds like another iraqi success to me... watch for bushco spin, coming soon to a tv screen near you...

and, on that cheerful note, goodnight, mrs. calabash, wherever you are... (a free visit to the blog of your choice to the first person who can tell me whose trademark sign-off that was...)

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page