Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: David Brooks is a very articulate idiot
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Thursday, April 21, 2005

David Brooks is a very articulate idiot

(from brooks' nyt editorial)
"Unless Roe v. Wade is overturned, politics will never get better."
Dear Mr. Brooks:

This is certainly the worst opinion piece of yours I have ever read and may very well rank at the top of my list as the worst opinion piece of all time. You dress it all up in pretty talk but your underlying message is clear and it is the same message Senator Frist will be explicitly or implicitly endorsing this "Justice Sunday."

Roe v. Wade came about for the very same reasons the courts found it necessary to rule that police cannot conduct unauthorized search and seizure or secretly tap your phone, that what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own bedrooms in Texas cannot be legislated against, and that you and I have the right to keep our medical records private. There is nothing in law that gives the fetus status as a human being and, therefore, what a woman chooses to do with her own body is her choice and hers alone. The courts saw fit to make that clear.

You may hold personal beliefs that Roe v. Wade was not a good judicial action. Many others do as well. I wholeheartedly support your right to hold your beliefs and to make personal choices based on those beliefs. This world would be a much better place if more people identified and behaved according to sound values and beliefs. I try to live my life that way. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I don't. But, please, within the bounds of law, let me live my life as I so choose and stop throwing support to those who would like to make my choices for me.

Best regards,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page