Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Afghanistan Independence Day helicopter practice fly-by
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Afghanistan Independence Day helicopter practice fly-by



sunday is afghanistan independence day when they celebrate regaining their independence from the brits in 1919... i've had choppers doing practice fly-bys, two-by-two, 10 at a time, followed by screaming jets, at tree-top height directly off my balcony at 6 a.m. for the past 10 days (the parade ground is two blocks from where i'm staying)... the fuel consumption alone must be staggering... this morning, for good measure, they added in "cannon practice"... 12 major blasts in a row rocked the entire bldg... 'course i'm usually already awake thanks to the muezzin who chants the morning prayers from a loudspeaker at the top of the minaret of the mosque around the corner starting at 4:15 every morning... guess i'm going to have to drag out the ol' earplugs...

here's a youtube clip i took this morning right outside my room of two of the choppers...


Labels: , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page