Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Just When I Think We Can't Go Lower
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Just When I Think We Can't Go Lower

Courtesy of the AP.
NY Town Lets Seniors Work to Pay Taxes
By JIM FITZGERALD
GREENBURGH, N.Y. (AP) — Audrey Davison lives alone, gets a $620 Social Security check each month and worries about the sharply rising taxes on her four-bedroom house. Davison, 76, raised her family there and after 43 years, she really doesn't want to leave Greenburgh.

Greenburgh doesn't want her to leave, either.

The town is pushing a program that would let seniors work part-time, for $7 an hour, to help pay off some of their property taxes.

"People shouldn't have to sell their house, move away to a place with less taxes, leave behind their family and friends," said Town Supervisor Paul Feiner.

He envisions retired doctors mentoring schoolchildren, retired accountants helping with the town's finances, retired lawyers offering their services for a discount. But there are plenty of less-skilled jobs that need doing, he said.

"It's not like we're going to see grandma running the snowplow," he said. "There are lots of things people can do for the town and it wouldn't cost us that much to pay them."

The proposal has caused a stir in Greenburgh, a town of 90,000 in Westchester County(emphasis added), which has the nation's third-highest homeowner property taxes. The plan would be unusual if not unique in New York, but similar programs are considered successes in Colorado, Massachusetts, South Carolina and elsewhere.

Westchester County, by the way, is also home to the North East Elite, like our next President, Hitlery.
Davison, who suffers from arthritis and sciatica and needs a walker to get around on her bad days, said she pays about $12,000 a year in property taxes — perhaps $2,000 to the town — and has already taken out a reverse mortgage to pay her bills
.
What NeoCon, Fascist, power drunk asshole came up with this idea? I don't get along with my Mother, but she won't be working to pay her property taxes. What have we become when old folks are forced to work to pay their taxes? I guess it's not enough they have to work just to pay the electric bill. And while were at it, how about all their no account pre-teen grandchildren. I bet there are a lot of 8 inch sewer pipes they could inspect for 7 bucks an hour.

Talking to Feiner last week at the town senior center, she said, "I would work as long as it was a job where I could sit."

"You could be a receptionist!" Feiner said. "You could greet people right here, when they come in."
[...]

This guy Feiner is a true butthead. I bet he has a better paying receptionist job available for her, at the US embassy in Iraq. What an opportunity!
I can't believe in one of the richest counties on Earth the residents will actually allow this kind of thing to continue.
And by the way, I don't think much of the Associated Press for slanting the story as being such a triumph for Senior Citizens.

Labels: , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page