Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Here Come Da Judge
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Monday, November 05, 2007

Here Come Da Judge

Here's a little snapshot of Judge Andrew P.Napolitano's new book, "A Nation of Sheep".
Today we face the constant threat of surrendering too much of our natural freedom out of fear of terrorism and a desire for national security. I often hear well-intentioned and even well-educated Americans saying that we need to balance liberty and security, that hard or threatening times should produce less freedom and thus more security. I've even had some crackpots tell me on the air that they are fearful of freedom and yearn for more security. This argument presumes that the same government that can't deliver the mail, can't fill potholes, can't keep track of who has paid taxes, and can't obey its own laws should somehow be trusted to limit and even proscribe our freedoms, and that giving them this power will keep us safe. This is a canard, a pact with the devil, a one-way trip into slavery that is as old as the idea of having a government.

Liberty and security are not to be balanced; liberty is the default position because it is integral to our nature. Every conceivable bias is to be indulged in its favor; all of our liberties are to be protected by security.(emphasis added)
[...]
(page 3, 1st and 2nd paragraphs)

Ooooh, I have goosebumps.
I guess I'm easily entertained in my middle age.
This guy is on to something, and he is a Judge. Reading his book is actually filling me with new hope.
More snapshots to come, I will reserve final judgement of my own until the last page, the last sentence.

Labels: , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page