Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Some of the most heart-rending photos I've ever seen
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Some of the most heart-rending photos I've ever seen

i have to confess, these really got to me...
Inmates at the notorious Tuol Sleng prison, where at least 14,000 people were tortured to death or sent to killing fields. Before killing the prisoners, the Khmer Rouge photographed, tortured and extracted written confessions from their victims.


Tuol Sleng Museum of Genocide


Tuol Sleng Museum of Genocide


Tuol Sleng Museum of Genocide
He had a job to do, and he did it supremely well, under threat of death, within earshot of screams of torture: methodically photographing Khmer Rouge prisoners and producing a haunting collection of mug shots that has become the visual symbol of Cambodia’s mass killings.

“I’m just a photographer; I don’t know anything,” he said he told the newly arrived prisoners as he removed their blindfolds and adjusted the angles of their heads. But he knew, as they did not, that every one of them would be killed.

“I had my job, and I had to take care of my job,” he said in a recent interview. “Each of us had our own responsibilities. I wasn’t allowed to speak with prisoners.”

[...]

In the interview, Mr. Nhem En spoke with pride of living up to the exacting standards of a boss who was a master of negative reinforcement.

“It was really hard, my job,” he said. “I had to clean, develop and dry the pictures on my own and take them to Duch [his commandant at the prison, Kaing Geuk Eav, known as Duch] by my own hand. I couldn’t make a mistake. If one of the pictures was lost I would be killed.”

looking at those innocent, haunted faces is almost overwhelming... we must dedicate ourselves to insuring that horrors like this, whether in the killing fields of cambodia, the slaughtering fields of darfur, the concentration camps of germany, or the neighborhoods of baghdad, are halted, now and forever...

Labels: , , , , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page