Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Evo Morales: "I think that indigenous people are the moral reserve of humanity"
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Evo Morales: "I think that indigenous people are the moral reserve of humanity"



The Real Reason People Fear Evo Morales

It's not just that President Evo Morales is indigenous, but that he refuses to sell out the rights of indigenous people.

[...]

They fear him not only because he is indigenous, not only because he is a leftist in the presidential palace with a massive base of support across the entire insurgent continent; they fear him because his public and private persona, his gentle charisma and ethical approach forces them -- and us -- to look at the long history of violence and hate buried in our individual and collective subconscious, our top-down notions of political -- and personal -- modernity. He forces us all to look at the inner Conquistador -- and the inner Indio.

We are ill-prepared to deal with someone who can say without blinking, "I think that indigenous people are the moral reserve of humanity."

as one who lives part time in argentina, has a warm spot in my heart for all of latin america and particularly for native peoples, and knows only too well the poverty and exploitation bolivia has endured, i have nothing but admiration and good will for evo morales and wish him and his country only the best...

Labels: , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page