Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: A day late and a dollar short, but at least Powell is speaking out
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Sunday, June 10, 2007

A day late and a dollar short, but at least Powell is speaking out

i'm still left with the question as to why the hell he didn't open his yap when all this stuff was going down...

colin powell on meet the press, courtesy of think progress...

  • The U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay [is] “a major problem for America’s perception” and charg[ed], “if it was up to me, I would close Guantanamo — not tomorrow, this afternoon.”
  • He also called for an end to the military commission system ... . “I would simply move them to the United States and put them into our federal legal system,” Powell said.
  • He scoffed at criticism that the detainees would have access to lawyers and the writ of habeas corpus: “So what? Let them. Isn’t that what our system’s all about?”
  • "[W]e have shaken the belief that the world had in America’s justice system by keeping a place like Guantanamo open… We don’t need it, and it’s causing us far more damage than any good we get for it."
  • Powell endorsed direct talks [with Syria and Iran] “not to solve a particular problem or crisis of the moment or the day, but just to have dialogue with people who are involved in this region in so many ways.”
good on you, colin... the road to redemption is long and hard, but you gotta start somewhere...

Labels: , , , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page