Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Bush on Wolfie: "I regret that it has come to this"
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Bush on Wolfie: "I regret that it has come to this"

i'll take this as a farewell...
"I believe all parties in this matter have acted in good faith," Bush said in a markedly somber tone. "I regret that it has come to this. I admire Paul Wolfowitz. I admire his heart, and I particularly admire his focus in helping the poor. There is a board meeting going on as we speak. All I can tell you is that Paul Wolfowitz has an interest in what's best for the bank, just like he's had an interest in what's best in making sure the bank focuses on things that matter -- human suffering, the human condition. So I applaud his vision, I respect him a lot, and as I said, I regret that it has come to this."

paul wolfowitz hasn't had the best interest of a goddam thing in mind with the single exception of advancing an arrogant, megalomaniacal, neocon agenda focused entirely on power, money and absolute control, an agenda he has made his life's work... the world bank has never been an exemplar of pure-white altruism, working as it has to advance the interests of the g7, but at least it had SOME credibility... i think that it's now clear to everyone that wolfie's appointment as world bank president was just another item on the to-do list of the bush administration's push for absolute world power...

there were many who believed that wolfie's appointment to the world bank was an effort to get him out of the way, putting him on a siding where he couldn't do any more harm... i posted this back in january 2006...

there were those who speculated that bush was sending wolfie to the world bank to neutralize him and get him out of the line of fire in the defense department particularly since he was one of the principal architects of the iraq war... i didn't believe that for a minute...

that was in response to this from steve clemons, someone else who never bought the idea that installing wolfie in the world bank would "neutralize" him...
Wolfowitz may be showing his stripes now -- and may be finally tilting the Bank into a groove where it becomes a harsher instrument of U.S. foreign policy -- rewarding friends and punishing those who don't fall into lockstep behind George W. Bush's vision.

until it finally dawned on me a few weeks ago that one of the principal reasons wolfie was pushing for the world bank to increase its lending to iraq was to support the iraq oil law, i was somewhat vague on just exactly what "being a harsher instrument of u.s. foreign policy" might look like... well, i guess like so much else in bushco, it looks like power (controlling iraq) and money (oil)...

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page