Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Things like this make me proud to be a vet
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Things like this make me proud to be a vet

as a vietnam vet, i take no pride in having served in a war... i was extremely fortunate to have had the opportunity to participate in such an event and return in one piece (at least physically!)... i hold the greatest respect for those who have served their country and learned from it... not all vets learn from their experience, but those who do, watch out...! we have seen things from the inside and aren't about to swallow the usual load of shit... case in point...
VoteVets.org appears to be the most active group trying to influence the debate about the president's plan to send 21,500 more troops to Iraq.

[...]

The veterans are selling a blunt message: The Bush strategy in Iraq is a failure, and adding troops sends more young men and women to their deaths. If you care about the military, they told lawmakers, vote against the troop increase. Legislators who are stalling debate on the matter are "cowards," they said.

This week marked their third pilgrimage to the Capitol. They met privately with the staffs of 11 senators, mostly Republicans. They talked strategy behind closed doors with the Democrats who run the House and then held a media event with those leaders, including Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.), who praised them for speaking out.

[...]

[Jon Soltz, co-founder of VoteVets] said the group is pro-military and not a front for the Democrats. "I'm a conservative," said Soltz, who volunteered on Kerry's 2004 presidential campaign. "I don't think 20,000 more troops is Democratic, I don't think 20,000 troops is Republican. I think it's stupid."

amen...

p.s. yes, i am a member of votevets... consider contributing... right now, i can't think of a more effective group on the national scene...

Labels: , , ,

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page