Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: The "fine print" says I consent to disclose my phone records
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Friday, May 12, 2006

The "fine print" says I consent to disclose my phone records

ummmm... 'scuse me... there's ACTIVE consent and then there's PASSIVE consent... if i've PASSIVELY consented to reveal my entire telephone history to george bush, i may just get myself a tri-band phone from a carrier in another country instead of a tri-band phone from a u.s. carrier... screw 'em... i don't have to play that game...

as it is, i generally use local cell phones in whatever country i happen to be in for local and regional calls and a voip service for everything else... in the u.s., my phone is mostly just to have one... most of my communication is over the internet...

in any case, i came to the conclusion several years ago that, for all practical purposes, all of my electronic communications and transactions were being logged... it's outrageous that it's happening but i refused to stick my head in the sand and continue to believe that MY GOVERNMENT would NEVER do something like THAT...!

One government lawyer who has participated in negotiations with telecommunications providers said the Bush administration has argued that a company can turn over its entire database of customer records -- and even the stored content of calls and e-mails -- because customers "have consented to that" when they establish accounts. The fine print of many telephone and Internet service contracts includes catchall provisions, the lawyer said, authorizing the company to disclose such records to protect public safety or national security, or in compliance with a lawful government request.

"It is within their terms of service because you have consented to that," the lawyer said. If the company also consents, "and they do it voluntarily, the U.S. government can accept it."

so, when the bush house of cards finally topples, is there anybody out there who has experience in re-assembling shredded documents - like the bill of rights...?

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page