Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Hearing update
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Friday, February 10, 2006

Hearing update

So far it seems that the Republican response is to jump on the "blame Brownie" bandwagon and calling his "leadership" into question and remove blame from White House or DHS.

Robert Bennet (UT-R) – We knew that it would take at least five years for DoD to work. Looked wonderful on paper. Yet, 18 months later turf battles, etc. Not making hay about DHS not working. Sympathetic to what B is saying. Still…having seen this before, I know there are things that can be done.

Why not get on phone to talk to chertoff directly? Did not occur to you to do that?

Brown - Culture such that I didn’t think it would work. Went directly to WH rather than deal with interdepartment red-tape. Waste of time to call Chertoff, then him call someone, then someone call Rumsfeld. (take too much time, too many layers) Easier to go straight to WH and talk to Hagin or Andy Card and get immediate response.

Bennett – that is a shocking pronouncement on dysfunctionality of department. Holy cow (paraphrase). You mean, wow…you couldn’t sit down with Chertoff at all?

Brown – made two attempts to do so. 1. Chertoff wanted briefings from undersecretaries with info, most challenges, etc. Prepared memo. In record. Chertoff never had the component head meeting with me. 2. Did get a meeting to keep preparedness in FEMA. Needed to stay in FEMA. Made case to Chertoff. Thought he had won. Chertoff agreed. 48 hours later decision is reversed.

Bennett – you didn’t tell Chertoff because you felt it wouldn’t do any good.

Brown – I succeeded elsewhere, but not this time because DHS was bureaucratic mess.

Lautenberg: Not here to blame Brown alone. If I have a fire in my house I don’t insist on talking to the fire chief before putting out the fire. If we can’t trust aides to chief then there is a huge problem. You [Brown] appear to be the "designated scapegoat."

Still incredible needs. Trailers, shelter, etc. Who is responsible NOW? The responsibility lies with the White House.

I find the response now indicates where we were before.

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page