Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Hey, I've got an idea...! Let's learn another language...!!
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Friday, January 06, 2006

Hey, I've got an idea...! Let's learn another language...!!

we can all read "my pet goat" in spanish...!!
President Bush announced plans yesterday to boost foreign-language study in the United States, casting the initiative as a strategic move to better engage other nations in combating terrorism and promoting freedom and democracy.

on the one hand, an admirable idea... as a foreign language barbarian myself (a term i use to describe those who can only speak one language) and someone who has struggled mightily even picking up my still-rudimentary spanish, i'm all for it... learning another language is a huge bridge to global understanding...

on the other hand, i just have to roll my eyes and shake my head, knowing that there's this giant redneck effort underway to legislate english as the only official u.s. language and to insure that speakers of other languages are unable to function in the u.s. without knowing english... i'll be awaiting the outcry from movement conservatives on this one...

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page