Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: I finally get it
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Friday, December 23, 2005

I finally get it

Reading Molly Ivins this morning and she says:
This is the same pattern we have seen with Bush when it came to the Geneva Conventions for handling prisoners and to using torture. Not only does he consider himself above the law, he has surrounded himself with people who keep inventing perverse readings of the Constitution to justify him. Makes it especially nice to hear him go on about the importance of bringing democracy to Iraq.

Well of course! These are the same people that have come up with The Rapture, a bastardized reading of disconnected scriptures and a book of the the Bible based on a dream. You know what this reminds me of? I used to work in Palo Alto as a waiter and we often had street people come in. One fellow who loved to sit at the counter would come in and have very lucid conversations with you. He would tell you about the nice pair of shoes that he got from Payless, etc. Then someone else at the counter would get up and leave and Joe would, in the same matter of fact language, tell you "that guy has been following me for the last thirty years." This fellow would also take disparate news events and tie them together ala "A Beautiful Mind" and write one page explanations of them, which he would then attempt to sell to support himself. At one point the Stanford paper ran an article on him, as though he were some sort of modern day prophet complete with a beatific picture. I feel like I am living it all over again...except now Joe is George Bush and the Stanford paper has morphed into the American press. And now the stakes are life threatening.

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page