Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Ravaging the social contract (cont'd)
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Ravaging the social contract (cont'd)

(see previous post...)
On Sept. 9, the Labor Department issued a short memo, signed by a lowly deputy assistant secretary, that undid the law of the land, ostensibly to deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The memo relieved new federal contractors of the obligation to have a plan for hiring minorities, women, Vietnam veterans and disabled people on Katrina-related projects.

[...]

[T]here have been only four [similar instances] in the 40 years that the law has been on the books, and each was for a single, highly-specialized short-term contract, including two in the 1980's for federally financed work on commemorative coins. To waive the rule on a project as vast as rebuilding the Gulf Coast is as unwise as it is unprecedented.

i repeat... the "baby" that's being "drowned in the bathwater" is you and me...

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page