Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Hola from Sofia, Bulgaria
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Hola from Sofia, Bulgaria

as you can imagine, there are some interesting cultural transitions when traveling from buenos aires to london to sofia, bulgaria...

i managed to survive two days of tube-riding in london and didn't see any evidence of diminished energy or looking-over-the-shoulder behavior you might expect... i don't mean to say that folks aren't paying attention but they are also getting on with their lives in one of the greatest cities in the world...

in the "it's-an-incredibly-small-world" department, i had dinner last night in london with several of the folks that i had worked with from macedonia who just so happened to be in town at the same time...

i just got back from walking around the center of sofia, bulgaria, my first time here... impression...? very favorable... my other balkan city experiences in skopje, macedonia and belgrade, serbia didn't prepare me for the level of energy, the bustling shopping district and the overall cleanliness i've seen in just a few hours in sofia - and it's a national holiday...!! on a national holiday in skopje, they roll up the sidewalks...

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page