Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: "Dogma-driven" U.S. policy on AIDS in Africa... Nice way of saying "religious ideology-driven..."
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Monday, August 29, 2005

"Dogma-driven" U.S. policy on AIDS in Africa... Nice way of saying "religious ideology-driven..."

A senior United Nations official has accused President George Bush of "doing damage to Africa" by cutting funding for condoms, a move which may jeopardise the successful fight against HIV/Aids in Uganda.

Stephen Lewis, the UN secretary general's special envoy for HIV/Aids in Africa, said US cuts in funding for condoms and an emphasis on promoting abstinence had contributed to a shortage of condoms in Uganda, one of the few African countries which has succeeded in reducing its infection rate.

"There is no doubt in my mind that the condom crisis in Uganda is being driven by [US policies]," Mr Lewis said yesterday. "To impose a dogma-driven policy that is fundamentally flawed is doing damage to Africa."

"an emphasis on promoting abstinence...!!" every time i read about the "just say no" theory of hiv/aids prevention, it literally blows me away... the people who spout that nonsense do not have a single clue about what life in this world is really like... not ONE...! and especially in, of all places, AFRICA...!

goddam, i wish george would come with me on a walk around the 'hood here... it's a nice area, really, not fancy, not squalid, but, after a couple of hours of witnessing REAL LIFE, as opposed to the sheltered, silver-spoon, hot-house environment he has spent his entire life in, he might see a few things that would open his eyes... hell, let's toss james dobson in with him, one on my right side and one on my left... a bit of make-up for a disguise, jeans, sneaks, windbreakers, mussed hair, day's growth of beard, lose the secret service, no motorcade... just think...! what fun...!

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page