Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: My take
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Thursday, July 07, 2005

My take

I woke up this morning to the news of the London bombings. Angry, sad, disgusted. With all of them. Not just with the terrorists who think killing innocents advances their cause, but with Tony and George who think killing innocents advances their cause.

And I have believed for quite some time that is is just a matter of time before these types of attacks with come to our shores. 9/11 was dramatic, but a bombing here, a bombing there, will shred what's left of middle America's sense of security.

And really, what can be done militarily or police-wise to protect us from this sort of thing? Search every one who gets on a bus or a train? Post a guard at every public trash can to inspect what is thrown in?

Perhaps answer to that question can be found in Israel or Northern Ireland where, finally, after decades and centuries of back and forth retaliation, there finally arose an acceptance, albeit grudgingly, and an understanding that the grievances of the weak must be given heed and that might does not make right. Nor does might guarantee safety. There has to be a better way.

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page