Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: The U.S., the IMF, the World Bank, the G7, and the largest global banks
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The U.S., the IMF, the World Bank, the G7, and the largest global banks

many of the world's downtrodden have known for a long time "from whence the trodding cometh..."
The world's multilateral institutions -- which preside over the political and economic destinies of more than six billion people -- have come under heavy fire at a meeting of 350-plus representatives of civil society and non-governmental organisations (NGOs) here.

The United Nations, World Bank, International Monetary Fund (IMF), and World Trade Organisation (WTO) were criticised as lacking transparency and accountability and practising political elitism and decision-making dictated by the rich and powerful.

Rajesh Tandon, chair of the board of the Montreal International Forum (also known by its French initials, FIM), singled out the United States, France, and Britain -- three veto-wielding permanent members of the U.N. Security Council -- for what he termed their political double standards.

i witnessed a very interesting scene in buenos aires not long ago that kind of summed it all up...(taken from a previous post...)

(more)

So far during my time living here [Buenos Aires] I have avoided the bustling downtown, the Microcentro, and have thus missed seeing some of the grand old architecture there. Today, however, I decided to venture into new territory and was enjoying the crowded pedestrian mall when I stumbled on a most interesting spectacle. It took me a few minutes to grasp what I was seeing.

There were roughly fifteen to twenty people pounding with hammers on a corrugated metal wall that had been erected immediately around the outside of a tall office building and they were making one hell of a racket. The wall was clearly not new and showed evidence of severe pounding that must have occurred over quite a period of time. I noticed that the "pounders" were casually dressed and were accompanied by protestors carrying signs. My first thought was that it was a construction site and they were demonstrating against some new development. As I examined the building in greater detail, I noticed a familiar white and blue sign and logo high up as well as blue and white trim partially exposed behind the corrugated metal. Slowly it dawned on me. This wasn't a construction site, it was CitiBank's main office in Buenos Aires. I also realized that there was a heavily guarded door at the corner of the building where employees coming and going were flashing their badges. "I'll be dipped in shit," I thought. "This is a day-in, day-out deal. This goes on every damn day!"

yep... SOME folks in this world know who's picking their pockets... if we tried that here, we'd be tossed in the slam so fast our heads would spin...


Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page