Blog Flux Directory Subscribe in NewsGator Online Subscribe with Bloglines http://www.wikio.com Blog directory
And, yes, I DO take it personally: Fathers and Daughters
Mandy: Great blog!
Mark: Thanks to all the contributors on this blog. When I want to get information on the events that really matter, I come here.
Penny: I'm glad I found your blog (from a comment on Think Progress), it's comprehensive and very insightful.
Eric: Nice site....I enjoyed it and will be back.
nora kelly: I enjoy your site. Keep it up! I particularly like your insights on Latin America.
Alison: Loquacious as ever with a touch of elegance -- & right on target as usual!
"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it."
- Noam Chomsky
Send tips and other comments to: profmarcus2010@yahoo.com /* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Fathers and Daughters

Broken marriages and bitter mothers don’t make for such easy father-daughter relationships. I grew up not really knowing my dad. Yet, my physical features resemble him more than any of my siblings. My dad is curious about the world, and though we may not agree politically, his active engagement in the world and his wonder and amusement at the human condition is very much like mine. As an adult I worked to reach out to my dad and connect with him. We don’t have the history of childhood, with the exception of him teaching me to ride a 2-wheeler, to tell time, to whistle. There are dim memories of sitting on his lap while he watched the Friday night fights, and also puking all over him after having my tonsils removed. But I will be forever grateful for the hand and heart he reached back with when I held out mine. Love you Dad. Happy Father’s Day.

And to my dearest love, thank you for being my daughter’s father. Stepping into a pre-made position was not easy. Your determination and commitment in the face of an adolescent determined to push you away still amazes me. We’ve weathered that storm and come out on the other side a strong family. And I love you more every day for the love and commitment you show every single day.

Submit To Propeller


And, yes, I DO take it personally home page